Performs dimensional checks on all structural pieces and assemblies to verify that shape, size, fit-up, hole location, surface finish, and coatings are in accordance to shop provided detail drawings. Performs weld inspection in accordance to AWS D1.1. Performs at a highly proficient and independent level in order to achieve the set goals for safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Safety – Achieve the goal of zero accidents by using all protective equipment assigned and operating in a safe manner per CMC Structural policies. Suggest ideas to improve safety. Report immediately all accidents and cooperate fully with all accident investigations.
- Quality – Inspect fabricated pieces, welds, surface preparation and paint to ensure that the customer is receiving a top quality product that will earn the company the reputation of “Best in the Business”..
- Schedule – Perform inspections in an expedient and efficient manner to ensure that QC does not affect delivery dates promised to customers.
- Efficiency – Minimize Inspection costs by using time, and inspection tools effectively. Suggest ways to reduce costs and optimize efficiency.
Pay will be established based upon the candidate’s individual qualifications and history of performance and pay. Hourly Non-Exempt.
High School Diploma or GED
Five or more years of related activities, including fabrication, welding, dimensional inspection or welding inspection.
- A complete understanding of weld symbols.
- Ability to read and interpret Structural fabrication drawings.
- Ability to interpret and apply various codes of standard practice.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of planes, solid geometry, trigonometry, and fractional mathematics.
- Use of judgement to plan, perform, and make decisions as to the sequences of set-ups, operations, and processes within the limitations of recognized or standard methods and procedures.
- Agrees with and subscribes to company values.
- AWS Certified Welding Inspector
- Knowledge or Certification of Non Destructive Testing Methods
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Organizational skills
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of the associated technical disciplines, including welding, material identification, etc.
- Self starter – able to work alone and in groups to accomplish goals.
- Ability to interpret data to come to conclusions when all of the information is not available
General Tools Required
- Tape Measures – 12ft-30ft, 50ft, 100ft
- Combination Square, speed square, framing square, bevel square
- Magnetic level (6”)
- Small magnets to hold tape measure
- Chalk line, roll of string
- Weld gages
Specific Tasks Include
- Verify shape, size, holes and all detail parts conform to the detail drawings.
- Make weld symbols on all pieces for welders.
- Generate records of all inspections.
- Visual Inspect welds per AWS D1.1.
- Inspect Paint coverage (DFT) and record results.
- Safety – Our basic philosophy is to not take chances – “No amount of personal risk is worth any amount of production.”
- Quality – Focus on quality issues and errors and take the lead for eliminating the root causes. Act as a resource for inspecting materials.
- Communication – Interface with multiple resources including Supervisors, Plant Management, Purchasing, and Detailing to coordinate and obtain information.
To apply for this job email your details to BCollins@scsteel.com