Fabrication Shop Supervisor
Fabricates and assembles material for most types of finished assemblies per detail drawings, in a safe and efficient manner while maintaining high quality. Performs at a highly proficient and independent level in order to achieve the set goals for safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Safety – Achieve the goal of zero accidents by using all protective equipment assigned and operating in a safe manner per SC Steels policies. Suggest ideas to improve safety. Report immediately all accidents and cooperate fully with all accident investigations.
- Quality – Produce fabricated pieces in lines with customer orders and detail drawings; and ensure that parts function/fit within specified parameters via testing and/or quality control checks before they are moved to the next operation.
- Schedule – Meet delivery dates promised to customers by performing operations on time and in an efficient manner.
- Efficiency – Minimize manufacturing costs by using time, materials, and equipment effectively. Suggest ways to reduce costs and optimize efficiency.
- Equipment – Maintain all tools, machines, and supplies in good, safe working order. Report any issues or discrepancies immediately.
Pay will be established based upon the candidate’s individual qualifications and history of performance and pay. Hourly Non-Exempt.
High School Diploma or GED
Three or more years of related activities, including layout or welding.
- Ability to read and interpret Structural fabrication drawings.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Use of judgement to plan, perform, and make decisions as to the sequences of set-ups, operations, and processes within the limitations of recognized or standard methods and procedures.
- Agrees with and subscribes to and displays a commitment to SC Steels Core values.
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Organizational skills
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of the associated technical disciplines, including welding, machine operation, material identification, etc.
- Self starter – able to work alone and in groups to accomplish goals.
- Ability to interpret data to come to conclusions when all of the information is not available
General Tools Required
- Tape Measures – 12ft-30ft, 50ft, 100ft
- Combination Square, speed square, framing square, bevel square
- Vise grip finger clamps
- Adjustable crescent wrench
- Center punch and hammer
- Screwdriver set
- Allen pack wrenches
- Wire snips and pliers
- Magnetic level (6”)
- Small magnets to hold tape measure
- Chalk line, roll of string
Specific Tasks Include
- Ability to operate a cutting torch, hand grinder, drills, and other hand and power tools.
- Layout structural steel according to the drawing using information such as work points, linear dimensions, angular dimensions, and three-dimensional conceptualization.
- Prepare materials for fitting and welding, including beveling edges of steel for full penetration welds.
- Cut, drill, grind, bevel, and otherwise modify materials to conform to specifications and dimension provided on fabrication drawings.
- Order the tasks required appropriately in order to ensure that all welds are accessible, and all pieces fit properly.
- Create templates, fixtures, and jigs in order to safely and accurately assemble the pieces into the finished product.
- Capable of reading drawings and meeting all safety and quality requirements to fit members with square detail. Capable of performing full penetration weld preps.
- All of fitter 1 capabilities plus Capable of fitting members with beveled and double bevel detail.
- All of 2 fitter capabilities plus Capable of fitting any member that can be modeled in 3D space including “fish mouth” tube connections using wrap around templates, complex nodes with detail in multiple planes, and members that are both curved and sloped.
- Safety – Our basic philosophy is to not take chances – “No amount of personal risk is worth any amount of production.”
- Quality – Focus on quality issues and errors and take the lead for eliminating the root causes for incorrect programs. Act as a resource for receiving sublet materials
- Communication – Interface with multiple resources including Pre-Assembly supervision, Plant Management, Purchasing, and Detailing to coordinate information and obtain documents
- Coordinating with External Resources – Providing information to outside resources as necessary for sublet materials.