SC Steel LLC
Moves trailers to support structural steel fabrication and shipments. Inspects trailers for road-worthiness. Performs minor trailer maintenance and repair. Transfers paperwork as required. Works in a safe and efficient manner.
- Safety – Achieve the goal of zero accidents by using all protective equipment assigned and operating in a safe manner per FabSouth Structural policies. Suggest ideas to improve safety. Report immediately all accidents and cooperate fully with all accident investigations.
- Quality – Ensure road worthiness of trailers prior to placing in service for loading.
- Schedule – Meet delivery dates promised to customers by performing operations on time and in an efficient manner.
- Efficiency – Minimize manufacturing costs by using time, materials, and equipment effectively. Suggest ways to reduce costs and optimize efficiency.
Pay will be established based upon the candidate’s individual qualifications and history of performance and pay. Hourly Non-Exempt.
High School Diploma or GED
Three or more years of related activities, including material handling and/or fork lift training
- Must have Commercial Drivers License (CDL Class A).
- Understands the DOT regulations concerning strapping of loads, distribution of loaded weights, oversize load threshholds and requirements.
- Understands proper loading techniques and proper use of dunnage to separate loads and to prevent damage to pieces during transit.
- Understands basic maintenance for spotter truck and related equipment.
- Certification for inspecting and performing adjustments to trailer brakes
- Good Time Management skills
- Excellent communication skills – ability to deal with various people with patience, ability to handle multiple and sometimes conflicting requests in a professional and efficient manner.
- Agrees with and subscribes to company values.
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Organizational skills
- Self starter – able to work alone and in groups to accomplish goals.
- Ability to interpret data to come to conclusions when all of the information is not available
General Tools Required
- Tape Measures – 30ft & 100ft
- Hammer (release brakes)
- Wrench (brake adjustments)
- Tire Pressure Gauge
- Screw Driver (replacing lights)
Specific Tasks Include
- Move trailers from yard to fabrication shops or other locations as directed
- Inspect loaded trailers to ensure loading is sound (will not create safety issues and will not distort materials during transit).
- Keep trailer yard organized
- Communicate with maintenance regarding trailer maintenance needs
- Perform basic inspections of trailers prior to pulling them into fabrication shops for loading:
- Inspect Tires & perform tire pressure checks
- Inspect for defects
- Perform inspections of trailers each time they return from delivery
- Replace light bulbs as required to ensure all lights are operational on trailers
- Replace glad hands as required
- Apply touchup paint on newly painted trailers as necessary
- After receiving certifications:
- Perform DOT inspections on trailers every 6 months
- Adjust brakes on trailers as necessary
- Track activities and time spent on different activities
- Maintain all documentation needed for DOT compliance
- Tractor Driver’s Log
- Trailer Inspection documentation
- Safety – Our basic philosophy is to not take chances – “No amount of personal risk is worth any amount of production.”
- Quality – Focus on identifying root causes of malfunctions/breakages and put in place repairs that will eliminate recurrence.
- Communication – Interface with supervisors and plant management to identify issues and report on successful completion of tasks.
Apply for this Position
To apply for this job email your details to BCollins@scsteel.com