Fabrication Shop Supervisor
Have the abilities to apply primers or other protective coatings to structural steel materials according to SSPC standards and processes in a safe and efficient manner while maintaining high quality. Have the ability to handle and load structural steel materials onto flatbed trailers using overhead cranes. Have the ability to clearly document and communicate work progress and load information to peers and supervisors. Performs at a highly proficient and independent level in order to achieve the set goals for safety, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Safety – Achieve the goal of zero accidents by using all protective equipment assigned and operating in a safe manner per CMC Structural policies. Suggest ideas to improve safety. Report immediately all accidents and cooperate fully with all accident investigations. Be familiar with job-specific PPE and any MSDS/SDS as required for cleaning and painting.
- Quality – Apply coatings to fabricated pieces in lines with customer orders and detail drawings; and ensure that coatings are within specified parameters via testing and/or quality control checks before they are moved to the next operation.
- Schedule – Meet delivery dates promised to customers by performing operations on time and in an efficient manner.
- Efficiency – Minimize manufacturing costs by using time, materials, and equipment effectively. Suggest ways to reduce costs and optimize efficiency.
- Equipment – Maintain all tools, machines, and supplies in good, safe working order. Report any issues or discrepancies immediately.
- Document – Provide all documentation required for safety, quality, maintenance, or other tasks. Communicate clearly to peers and superiors.
Pay will be established based upon the candidate’s individual qualifications and history of performance and pay. Hourly Non-Exempt.
High School Diploma or GED
Some experience with primers/paints preferred.
- Use of judgement to plan, perform, and make decisions as to the sequences of paint changes, material handling, operations, and processes within the limitations of recognized or standard methods and procedures.
- Use of judgement to sequence material handling versus painting/curing activities to ensure the most efficient use of time, and minimize the amount of wait-to-cure time.
- Use of technology to track and record loading activities for use in shipping ticket/BOL creation.
- Agrees with and subscribes to company values.
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Organizational skills
- Knowledge of all aspects of the associated technical disciplines, including surface preparation, painting, paint mixing, crane operation, material identification, etc.
- Self starter – able to work alone and in groups to accomplish goals.
- Ability to interpret data to come to conclusions when all of the information is not available
General Tools Required
- Tape Measures – 12ft-30ft, 50ft
- Adjustable crescent wrench
- Screw driver set
- Allen pack wrenches
- Tin snips
Specific Tasks Include
- Perform safety checks including paint field ground wires
- Move materials from fabrication areas to paint fields once they have been weld checked (pieces have a green flag to signal ready to go to paint field).
- Clean steel to achieve required surface preparation
- Mask steel according to notes and fabrication drawings
- Mix paint according to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Apply correct wet film thickness to achieve dry film thickness according to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Use wet film thickness gauges to perform quality checks
- Clean painting equipment to minimize maintenance
- Create accurate loadlists/shipping tickets either with handwritten lists, or using iPads and barcode scanners.
- Maintain accurate records for shift hand-off
- Load steel onto flatbed trailers with overhead cranes – load according to prepared list provided by supervisor
Additional Expectations Include
- Safety – Our basic philosophy is to not take chances – “No amount of personal risk is worth any amount of production.”
- Quality – Focus on quality issues and errors.
- Communication – Interface with multiple resources including Plant Management, Supervisor, and Quality Control to coordinate information and obtain documents